Brazil, the United States, Japan and Australia are some of the countries that architecture colleges of the world. The ranking, released annually by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), a global education analysis consulting firm, has evaluated 2,200 architecture colleges worldwide in the year 2018.
However, only 200 were selected as the best. In order to form this list, criteria such as academic reputation and reputation in the labor market were evaluated.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), in the United States, won for the fourth consecutive year the first place, obtaining a 100 mark in all the questions. O Brazil is present in the ranking with the architecture and urbanism course of the University of São Paulo (USP) and the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, both appear in the list of the best architecture colleges in the world in 28th and 80th places, respectively.
Still here, in South America, close to the people, are the Catholic University of Chile, the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina and the University of Chile. The sisters occupy the 33rd, 78th and 79th place in the ranking, respectively.
Asian colleges appear strong in the QS ranking. Japan, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia and South Korea have institutions that rank among the top 100 architecture colleges in the world. On the African continent the reality is quite different, only the University of Cape Town in South Africa appears on the list.
In the other positions are the European countries, especially Germany, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Check out the top 10 of the world's best architectural colleges and, below, the full list of colleges selected by QS:
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) - United States
The best among the best architectural colleges in the world is located in the American state of Massachusetts, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). One of the institute's biggest highlights is its extensive investment in new technologies. Founded in 1867, MIT is a reference in studies and research in the field of architecture and engineering.
Among his most famous students is the architect Ieoh Ming Pei, responsible for the expansion of the Louvre Museum and the pyramids Le Grand Louvre, located in the center of the museum. It was from here at MIT that there were also 77 winners of the Nobel Prize.
2. UCL (University College London) - United Kingdom
Britain's second-ranked University College London was the first top-level institution to settle in London and currently holds 29 Nobel Prizes. The faculty of architecture is guided by interdisciplinarity combined with other courses.
The UCL is responsible for developing the spatial syntax method, a teaching method that analyzes how a project - architectural or urban - can affect the social environment.
3. Delft University of Technology - Netherlands
The third place in the ranking of the best architecture colleges in the world goes to the Dutch Delft University Of Technology. With one of the largest campuses in the world - 18,000 m² - the institution offers students a complete infrastructure. The architecture course at Delf University is based on three pillars: design, technology and society.
4. ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology - Switzerland
Switzerland is ranked fourth on the list of best colleges in the world with ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. The institution is a great reference in the world and is among the best in Europe. As a matter of curiosity, Albert Einstein, a noted scientist of our time, was a student at ETH Zurich.
The architectural course of ETH Zurich is renowned for theoretical research and a focus on specialization in construction and technology techniques.
5. University of California, Berkeley (UCB) - United States
Another American to the list. The University of California ranks fifth in the list of the world's best architectural colleges. However, the architecture course is an arm within the environmental design teaching. At Berkeley, the student has the option of studying the history of architecture and urbanism or environmental design with a focus on developing countries. Another differential of the university is the equipment and accessories used, and most of them are sustainable.
6. Harvard University - USA
The architecture course of the famous Harvard University occupies the 6th place in the ranking. Located in the state of Massachusetts, Harvard University is one of the oldest and most prestigious institutions in the world, founded in 1636. The university architecture course emphasizes contemporary design techniques and includes design, history, and technology studies in the curriculum.
7. Manchester School of Architecture - United Kingdom
The Manchester School of Architecture, located in England, is the result of the union between the architecture departments of the University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU). The highlight of the institution is the interdisciplinary architectural research that covers areas such as urban design, urban development and ecological design, for example.
8. University of Cambridge - United Kingdom
In eighth place is the University of Cambridge, England. One of the oldest institutions in the world, founded in 1209, has one of the most renowned architecture courses internationally. Cambridg's somewhat conservative and traditional architecture course prioritizes areas such as theory and history. However, the institution counts on one of the most mixed architecture courses that exists. There are 300 students from 55 different nationalities.
9. Politecnico di Milano - Italy
Italy, the birthplace of world-famous and recognized artistic styles, such as the classical and the Renaissance, is in 9th place with the architectural course of Politecnico di Milano. The public university is considered one of the best in the fields of engineering, architecture and industrial design.
10. National University of Singapore (NUS) - Singapore
The National University of Singapore is the only Asian representative in the ranking of the best architectural colleges in the world. In 2018, the architecture department of the institution completed 60 years. At first, the architecture course was only an embryonic stage of the Polytechnic Institute of Singapore. It was only in 1969 that it became a full course.
In 2000, the course underwent a restructuring and became known as the Faculty of Architecture, Construction and Real Estate in the Architecture Department of the School of Design and Environment (SDE).
Currently the course offers a huge variety of programs that include landscape architecture, urban design, urban planning and integrated sustainable design. No wonder he has reached number ten of the world's finest architecture courses.
See now the complete list of the world's top 100 architecture colleges
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) - United States
- UCL (University College London) - United Kingdom
- Delft University of Technology - Netherlands
- ETH Zurich - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology - Switzerland
- University of California, Berkeley (UCB) - United States
- Harvard University - USA
- Manchester School of Architecture - United Kingdom
- University of Cambridge - United Kingdom
- Politecnico di Milano - Italy
- National University of Singapore (NUS) - Singapore
- Tsinghua University - China
- University of Hong Kong (HKU) - Hong Kong
- Columbia University - United States
- The University of Tokyo - Japan
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) - United States
- The University of Sydney - Australia
- Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) - Switzerland
- Tongji University - China
- Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) - United States
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Hong Kong
- The University of Melbourne - Australia
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya - Spain
- The University of New South Wales (UNSW Australia) - Australia
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology - Sweden
- Cornell University - United States
- RMIT University - Australia
- Stanford University - United States
- University of São Paulo (USP) - Brazil
- Technische Universität München - Germany
- The University of Sheffield - United Kingdom
- Polytechnic of Madrid - Spain
- University of British Columbia - Canada
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile - Chile
- Kyoto University - Japan
- Princeton University - United States
- Seoul National University (SNU) - South Korea
- University of Michigan - United States
- University of Pennsylvania - United States
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - United States
- University of Texas at Austin - United States
- Politecnico di Torino - Italy
- Technische Universität Berlin - Germany
- University of Reading - United Kingdom
- University of Toronto - Canada
- Eindhoven University of Technology - Netherlands
- Aalto University - Finland
- Cardiff University - United Kingdom
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven - Belgium
- National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) - Mexico
- The University of Queensland (UQ) - Australia
- Aalborg University - Denmark
- Arizona State University - United States
- Carnegie Mellon University - United States
- Chalmers University of Technology - Sweden
- City University of Hong Kong - Hong Kong
- Curtin University - Australia
- Hanyang University - South Korea
- Illinois Institute of Technology - United States
- KIT, Karlsruher Institut für Technologie - Germany
- Loughborough University - United Kingdom
- Lund University - Sweden
- McGill University - Canada
- Monash University - Australia
- New York University (NYU) - United States
- Newcastle University - United Kingdom
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology - Norway
- Oxford Brookes University - United Kingdom
- Pennsylvania State University / United States
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT) - Australia
- RWTH Aachen University - Germany
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University - China
- TU Dortmund University / Germany
- Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien) - Austria
- Texas A & M University - United States
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) - Hong Kong
- The University of Auckland - New Zealand
- University of Nottingham - United Kingdom
- University of Buenos Aires (UBA) - Argentina
- University of Chile - Chile
- Federal University of Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
- Universität Stuttgart - Germany
- Université Catholique de Louvain - Belgium
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) - Malaysia
- Universiti Malaya (UM) - Malaysia
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) - Malaysia
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) - Malaysia
- University College Dublin - Ireland
- University of Bath / United Kingdom
- University of Cape Town - South Africa
- The University of Edinburgh - United Kingdom
- University of Lisbon - Portugal
- University of Liverpool - United Kingdom
- University of Porto - Portugal
- University of Salford - United Kingdom
- University of Southern California - United States
- University of Washington - United States
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - United States
- Yale University - United States
- Yonsei University - South Korea
- Asian Institute of Technology - Thailand