The running mass is an essential product for works and reforms and its function is to correct imperfections of the surface of walls and ceilings. It should be applied after plastering (cement, lime and sand) and leaves the walls smooth and ready to receive paint. In this article, you will discover how to pass dough race correctly:
This product levels the interior surfaces by removing bubbles, latches, unevenness and other imperfections. Also known as PVA mass, made from vinyl resin, it is a creamy material and ideal to be applied on concrete and masonry. It has excellent filling power, is easy to apply and dries very fast.
The running mass or PVA mass is not resistant to moisture, so it should only be applied in internal rooms and that do not receive excess water like rooms, rooms and dry spaces. And the most suitable surfaces for its application, besides plastering and concrete are fiber cement, plaster, walls already painted with acrylic paint or PVA latex.
If your intention is to level or renovate walls in the outdoor area or in bathrooms and kitchens you should use acrylic mass.
The application of mass racing is simple and practical, so if you have ease with manual activities you can do it on your own without the need to hire a professional. Want to know how? Then follow our article.
How to Pass Race Mass: Materials Needed
The materials needed for the application of mass run on the walls can be found in any building materials store:
- Steel spatula;
- Steel fork;
- Specific running mass for the environment (internal or external);
- Paint roller;
- Safety materials: Gloves, cap, goggles, goggles and closed clothing.
How to pass dough race: step-by-step
1. Prepare the wall
- Clean the walls well, they should be free of dirt, mold, dust, stains, grease, loose particles, old paintings;
- If necessary clean the walls with water and neutral detergent and, if there are mildew points, apply a mixture of water and chlorine;
- Expect to dry well, do not rush to apply the dough or the result will not be what you want;
- Sand the walls with thick sandpaper (nr 180) and wipe again to remove dust by wiping with a broom or soft cloth, as the impurities hinder the adhesion of the mass to the wall.
2. Apply the sealant
- Apply the sealing emulsion with a paint roller;
- It is only necessary to apply the sealant if the wall is already painted or if there is direct contact with the humidity;
- Wait for the drying time to vary from 1 to 4 hours.
3. Prepare the dough
- Observe the manufacturer's guidelines, but in general, the masses available on the market are ready for use;
- If it is very hard, dilute the mass with water in the proportion of 5 to 10% of the volume, beat very well so that it is homogeneous and use in up to 24 hours at most.
4. Apply the dough
- Always start the application from the corner of the wall towards the center and preferably from the bottom to the top;
- Use the spatula to remove an adequate amount of grease from inside the package and place on the trowel that will be used to apply the product against the wall;
- The spatula feeds the larger side of the trowel with the dough while you stretch the dough on the wall always with an eye so that it is thin and uniform;
- Apply thin layers and in small spaces so that in about 2 minutes you can use the trowel to remove excess mass;
- For a better result, apply two coats of dough, the first one will correct the main imperfections and the second one will finish leaving the wall very smooth;
- Let it dry for at least 24 hours between one coat and another and after applying the second coat, your wall will be ready for painting after about 3 hours.
- Sand the walls again, this time using fine sandpaper, just to ensure a uniform result as possible;
- Your wall is ready to receive the painting and renovate the environment.
How to pass the dough on the ceiling
The process of applying the running mass to the ceiling is the same as that of the wall, including cleaning and surface preparation. The difference is that it will be more tiring since this area does not favor much the life of who will do the service.
When applying the dough on the ceiling you have to protect your eyes and head well to prevent dust, dirt or grease from falling on your face.
In addition, you will also need ladders and scaffolding to stay in a good position and avoid wasting material.
Tips for letting the perfect finish
- Use a thick sandpaper and a broom to make the surface smooth and clean before applying the sealer and running dough;
- Pass at least two coats of the dough and use a squeegee to remove excess product;
- Thread a fine sandpaper on the wall at the end of the application after waiting for the drying time;
- Always observe the drying time so that the dough is well adhered to the wall;
- Use a light bulb to find small defects that may appear after sanding and make the necessary corrections.
Why apply dough?
- With the running mass, the internal finish and the effect of the walls is much more beautiful;
- In the rooms, the clean walls bring harmony to the residents;
- Passing dough on the walls helps seal the structure and protect it for longer;
- If there are cuts on the walls, the finish gets much better with the dough run;
- The running dough also helps to save paint.
Making textures with running dough
You can also renew the ambience of your home by applying a texture to a wall of the room, leaving the place charming and sophisticated. And do not think it's hard to apply this technique, just choose the style that suits you best and use a foam roll for texture in addition to the materials we've listed in the article.
Follow the same guidelines with regard to cleaning and preparation of the wall that will receive the texture, apply the running dough and with the foam roll for texture, make the effect on the wall by passing it directly onto the still damp mass,
Repeat the process to complete the entire wall and finish the finish with gel or acrylic paint, if necessary.
A wall with running dough has a much more beautiful visual aspect and a perfect finish, which makes all the difference to the day to day life of the house. Try to purchase good quality products to prevent cracks and imperfections from occurring over time.
Now that you know how to apply dough and what you can do yourself without the help of a professional, put your hand in the dough and renew your environments.