Are you thinking of changing the decor of your home? Have you ever thought about learning how to paint a wall to make it yourself? Whether to save money or to leave the environment with the owner's face, many people are adhering to this practice.
However, some care is needed to achieve the best result, since a mistake can put everything down. For this, we separate some tips and techniques so you know how to paint the wall of your home. Check out!
How to paint wall: what materials do you need?
Before you think about starting to paint you need to chase after the materials needed to do the whole job. It is not enough just to choose the paint of your preference, it is indispensable to buy other products. Check out what these materials are:
- Woolen roll 23cm;
- Fork for Roller;
- Protractor or cable for paint roller;
- Ink application tray;
- Medium Brush;
- Medium and Fine Pasta Sandpaper;
- Newspaper or canvas to cover the floor;
- Steel Scraper;
- Acrylic Sealer
- Acrylic paint in chosen color (Matte / Semi Gloss / Acetinado).
How to paint wall step by step?
If you intend to paint your home wall yourself, you need to learn some techniques so that the paint does not blemish or stain and that the color is completely uniform. So follow this step by step to make the wall of your residence more beautiful.
1. Separate the accessories
- Separate all the accessories that you will use during the painting process;
- Leave everyone close to you;
- Do this so you do not have to stop the service in the middle and damage the end result;
- In addition to the paint materials, buy gloves to protect your hands, tape to protect the corners and goggles.
2. Get ready to paint
- Wear paint-specific clothing or wear old clothing;
- Put on a protective boot or old sneakers;
- Put on the goggles;
- Put on the glove before beginning to handle chemicals.
3. Prepare the environment
- Remove furniture from the environment so it does not get dirty;
- Remove the frames, embellishments, mirror and wall curtain to leave it free;
- Take cardboard, newspaper or plastic to cover the floor;
- To make it more secure, fasten with tape or crepe;
- Use a thick crepe tape to cover switches and plugs,
- Door stops, skirting boards, wall joints, aluminum frames, crown molding, rovings and baseboards should be protected with a wide crepe tape that fills all corners.
4. Sand Surface
- If the wall that is painted presents a firm surface and without much plastering, use a 220 or 240 sandpaper that is the finest;
- In areas that are coarser use sandpaper 80 or 100 which is thicker;
- Sand the entire wall that will be painted;
- While sandpaper, check to see if the surface is smooth;
- After sanding, take a floor cloth or a broom to remove all the dust left behind;
- When removing the excess, vacuum a vacuum cleaner to remove debris that may have been left on the floor and on the wall.
5. Prepare the ink
- Open the ink can and place it in the appropriate tray;
- Use a blender to stir the paint;
- Put water in the paint;
- But do this by following the directions on the packaging;
- Stir again.
6. Start painting
The painting process requires some care and procedures that must be done to achieve the expected result. Here's how the painting should be done.
1. Apply the sealant
- Take the sealer and open the can;
- Stir the sealant well into the can so the product is completely even;
- Then put some in the application tray;
- Use a roll of wool 23 cm wide to start applying the product to the wall;
- Do this in up and down movements;
- Then repeat the operation on all walls that need to be painted;
- Check the manufacturer's recommended dilution recommendation on the can.
2. Apply running dough
- Use a trowel to apply the running mass;
- Remember that the running mass can not be diluted;
- With the aid of a spatula pass the dough in the corners;
- Make sure there are holes left and correct it;
- Then let the dough dry on the wall for two or three hours;
- Then use sandpaper to straighten the wall;
- The wall needs to be smooth;
- Then apply the sealer to the wall on the running dough;
- The goal is to reduce ink consumption.
3. Apply the first coat of paint
- Now with the wall ready, you can apply the paint;
- First read the paint manufacturer's orientation to see if there is any specific procedure;
- Then open the paint can;
- Mix well and dilute as directed by the manufacturer;
- Mix then to leave the product even;
- Then put a generous amount into the application tray;
- Make sure the tray is clean and dry, as the paint can not be left with any residue;
- Then use the sheepskin roll to start painting;
- Put the roller in the paint, but do not let the tool become soaked;
- Start applying to the surface;
- Do this by running smooth motions like a back and forth;
- Cover the entire surface;
- Then repeat the procedure so that the entire wall is evenly painted;
- Just paint a wall and see how the result was to start painting the other walls;
- When setting the day to be painted, see if the weather is not too hot;
- Use a small brush to finish the paint in the corners;
- Wait around four hours for the paint to dry.
4. Apply the second coat of paint
- Once the paint is dry you should start applying the second coat;
- Before look at any manufacturer's recommendation on the paint can;
- Do the same process as the first coat;
- Paint the entire wall again;
- Do this by going back and forth;
- Cover the entire surface;
- Do not forget to finish the corners.
Finalize the process
- Remove any crepe tape you used for protection;
- Do this before the paint dries;
- Make cleaning materials such as roller; tray brush;
- Use only running water;
- Dry all tools before storing;
- When you notice the wall completely dry (about 3 to 4 hours later) clean the floor;
- Then place all furniture and decorations in their place.
How to paint wall: what mistakes need to be avoided when painting the wall?
Just as there are techniques to help you properly paint a wall, some mistakes should be avoided to make the paint uniform and the result surprising. See what mistakes you should avoid when painting the wall.
Missing amount of ink
As you have no experience it is only natural that you end up buying more paint than you will actually use or buy less than you should. So measure the areas that will be painted and compare the amount of paint needed for each square meter. If you have difficulties, get help from a friend.
Make the painting on rainy day
In the eagerness to want to change the decoration of house, many people end up painting in days of rains. But this is a big mistake, since the paint needs a good climate to dry fast. Therefore, the ideal is to paint on sunny days for the result to be satisfactory.
Sink the paintbrush
Many people when they are applying the paint put the entire brush inside the paint can. In this way, they are wasting the product. Also, as the brush will be soaked, it is very likely that you will put too much paint on the wall, damaging the result.
Do not expect to dry
In the rush to see the result of the painting, many people end up not waiting for the correct time to dry the paint. So, be patient to wait the correct time between one application and another to get the best result. If you want to speed up the process, keep windows and doors open.
Forget to paint the ceiling
No use letting all the walls of the room painted and forget the ceiling or just paint it with the rest of the paint. In fact, the ceiling needs to be the first area to be painted so that the paint does not splash on the wall after it is ready. This avoids having to fix it again.
Error in color and ink finish
One of the most committed mistakes in wall painting is in the choice of paint color and finish. So before buying the products, check what is most recommended for each wall of your room.
Although color is conditioned to personal taste, you need to have consistency in choosing. Look carefully at each shade of the palette, compare it with the furniture in the room and see the one that matches the most. If it's your will, you can bet on different colors to put on each wall.
By learning how to paint wall it becomes easier to put your hand in the paint. Be aware of the mistakes that need to be avoided, choose the ideal color or colors and leave the environment with your face.