Wedding parties, anniversary, engagement, they all ask for a certain gala in the decoration. Even if it is a small celebration for the most intimate or a grand celebration, it is important that the lighting and the surroundings are according to the occasion. Learn how to make paper pompom:
Handmade decorations that deviate from the standard and, above all, use materials that can be recycled and reused, are on the rise. Following this line, we will talk today about how to make paper pompom and how to use it in decoration.
They are easy to make and create a fun, colorful and light atmosphere. Follow our tips and get inspired for your next celebration.
How to Make Medium / Large Paper Pompoms
Materials needed for each pompom:
- 8 to 10 sheets of tissue paper / crepe / cellophane;
- Satin ribbon, string, cord or nylon cord;
- Ruler or tape.
Step by step
1. Place the sheets of paper on top of each other. If you want to make smaller pompoms, cut the leaves in half or in 4 parts. Then position 10 in 10 well aligned.
2. Fold the stack of sheets together as if to make a fan. Begin at one end and bend until you reach the other end. When finished you will have a large strip in hands folded like an accordion.
3. Fold this strip in half by tapping one end of the other to mark the center of the paper. Tie the center of the strip with a nylon cord, string or string and leave a large loose piece, as it is with this tape that the pompom will be tied in the decoration.
4. Each strip of these will be a pompom, so double what are needed for your decoration
5. Now you will round the ends by cutting the ends of the strip and making them look like an ice cream stick. If you want to give your pompom another effect, make a sharp cut at the ends.
6. Begin to separate the sheets of paper on one side as if it were the wings of a butterfly. Lift one by one carefully so as not to tear.
7. Now do the same process by lifting the sheets on the other side and adjusting and shaping your pompom. He's ready for the party!
How to Make Small Paper Pompom
Materials needed for each pompom:
- 2 strips of tissue paper / crepe / cellophane (3 x 6 cm format)
- Ruler or line
- Canudo, toothpick or barbecue
Step by step
1. Measure and cut the paper into rectangles 3cm wide by 6cm long.
2. Fold the papers in half and cut the entire side into thin strips (slightly over center).
3. Position the already cut paper on top of each other.
4. Begin rolling them from the center until the ends are well blended. Remember that the more roles you work, the cuddly your pompom will be!
5. Fold in half and glue the tip with durex to be firm. If you prefer a more discreet pompom, just cut it in half and you will have two pompoms instead of one.
6. With the straw, toothpick or barbecue toothpick in hand, glue the pompom to one end and shape the strips to make them look even and vibrant. Okay, now just position it in a cupcake, candy or straw!
Important tips for making your paper pompons
- A pack of tissue paper comes with 10 sheets in the 70cm x 1.20m format. Cutting the paper in half you can make 2 pompoms of 35x60cm.
- If you can find it, prefer to buy a 100-sheet package, it's cheaper and faster to finish your pom-poms.
- The medium pompom is 18cm in diameter and the large pompom is 30cm and to attach them to the ceiling use a beaten nail or even adhesive tape, as they are very light.
- To make the knot in the core of your pompom, you can also use those wire locks that are used to tie bread bag to shape or other products. You can find packages with 100 units of fasteners in stores in packages.
- It will take you an average of 5 to 7 minutes to open each pompom.
How to use paper pompoms in decorating
It is very easy to set up a party decoration using paper or tulle pompoms. We've researched a few suggestions that you can tailor to the occasion. Check out:
1. Replacing the balloons
The pompoms look beautiful if they are fixed to the ceiling and hang at various heights scattered around the room replacing the balloons. This is also a sustainable solution as plastic balloons contribute to increasing waste from the party while paper or fabric pompoms can easily be recycled or stored for other occasions.
2. Table Arrangements
A good application of the pompoms in the decoration is to work out table settings. If the occasion is more formal, you can use next to glass vases and with natural flowers. If the party is informal, you can assemble pots with recycled materials, with a very country atmosphere replacing the flowers with the pompoms themselves.
3. In the chairs
The pompoms can be used to decorate chairs in wedding ceremonies or outdoor graduation. Tie the center with a satin ribbon and tie the ribbon on the sides of the chairs that form the center aisle. You can use fabric pompoms to make the decor more elegant, all the same color or go varying in a tone.
4. Decorating gifts
If you like to give away friends and relatives with different treats, made by yourself or at least with a more original packaging, then replace the ties and ribbons with pompoms made of tissue paper. The gift will please the package!
5. Replacing the flowers
In a more romantic and Provençal decoration, the pompoms quietly replace the natural flowers, reducing the expenses of the ceremony. Organize everything in light colors, MDF holders, satin ribbons of varying widths, simple and double ties and success is guaranteed.
6. Napkin fasteners
At a special lunch or dinner, how about setting up a napkin holder with a pompom and a satin ribbon or a metallic elastic? The presentation will be a luxury.
Do you know that little corner of the party decorated with a special background for taking pictures? Joining several small pompoms stuck in satin ribbons you create a super soft curtain to illustrate the best moments of the celebration.
To decorate children's parties, use the pompoms as characters, just paste fun little eyes and mouths drawn on colored cardboard paper to make the children's party.
Paper pompoms have a few variations, you can create flowers, roses and even silk paper lamps that enchant the guests.
8 ideas on how to use the paper pompom in the decoration
See how the paper or fabric pompoms are versatile? And they prove that to have a beautiful party, well decorated and tasteful does not need to spend rivers of money. Just a little creativity and manual skill.