A good night's sleep is indispensable for the recovery of body and mind, and various factors contribute to your sleeping with the angels, without disturbing and without interruption. It takes a relaxing, quiet environment with pleasant temperature and adequate lighting so we can close our eyes and relax properly at night. In this article, you will learn How To Clean Mattress Correctly .
And besides all this, you also need comfort, the correct density of the mattress, softness and pleasing textures on the sheets and pillows and, of course, a minimum of hygiene in your bed.
Why is it important to clean the mattress?
It may seem unnecessary to include mattresses in regular household cleaning and many people actually neglect the hygiene of this item, which can pose a health risk to all residents.
The life of a mattress is approximately 10 years, depending on how you maintain it, so we spend a third of our lives on it. Thinking this way, I think it becomes clear why it is necessary to pay attention to the cleaning of this article.
Another information you may not know is that the foam on your mattress is home to more than 1 million mites, animals invisible to the naked eye and responsible for causing various allergic diseases in humans such as rhinitis, asthma, conjunctivitis and even even dermatitis.
Mites love humid places and it is estimated that after 2 years of use, about 10% of the weight of a mattress is eaten by mites and their residues. Can you imagine? And besides the mattress, the pillows are also pockets of mites, which makes it important to do the frequent hygiene of these items as well.
How to Clean Mattress: Materials Needed to Clean
Know now the materials needed to do to do the cleaning of the mattress:
- Vacuum Cleaner;
- Powdered soap in water;
- Upholstery cleaner;
- Sponge or soft brush;
- White vinegar;
- Sodium bicarbonate;
- Stain remover;
- Dry cloths;
How to Clean Mattress: Step by Step Cleaning
Know the complete step by step to do the mattress cleaning:
- Remove the sheets, bedspreads and, if your bed is model box and you have skirt, remove the skirt too.
- Put the bedding to wash.
- Vacuum your mattress throughout its length and on the sides also with a good vacuum cleaner. Do not forget the seams, the corners and the buds.
- Apply a product to clean the mattress and help eliminate dust mites. You can use a specific product for upholstery or a diluted soap solution in water.
- With the help of a sponge, rub the dirty areas of the mattress in circular motions.
- Before applying any product, do a test on a hidden area of the mattress to make sure that the product will not damage the fabric.
- Let the mattress dry completely, remember that moisture favors the appearance of more mites. To speed up the process, place it in the sun or plug a fan near the mattress.
- Once it is thoroughly dry, vacuum again to ensure all debris has been disposed of.
- Now is the time to put clean and scented bedding, even the pillowcases should be changed periodically.
How To Remove Mattress Stains
Over time it becomes inevitable that some spots appear on your mattress, after all this is an item that we use for many hours throughout our lives and accidents happen. Check out the tips to eliminate stains:
- Moisten a soft sponge with white vinegar and rub the stain. Let it rest for five minutes.
- Cover the stain with baking soda and when it is completely dry, remove the powder with the help of a vacuum cleaner.
- If the stain persists, apply hydrogen peroxide, always moistening the sponge and rubbing it in circular motions until it disappears.
- Another interesting and effective stain removal product on mattresses are stain removers sold at pet stores. Apply the product, leave to act for 15 minutes and wipe with a damp cloth.
- Urine stains can also be removed with white vinegar or 1 tablespoon of baking soda mixed in 20ml of water.
- The important thing is to thoroughly dry the application site before using the mattress.
How to get unwanted mattress odors
Sometimes the mattress does not have any apparent spots or impregnated dirt, but it gets unpleasant odors as time goes by and it is being used. There are ways to counteract these odors, take a look:
- Spread baking soda all over the mattress and let it act for an entire night. The next day, remove the product with a vacuum cleaner.
- Apply some citrus-based cleanser (lemon, for example), let it dry well and finish with the vacuum cleaner.
- The white vinegar is also very efficient, apply a half-liter mixture of water with half a liter of vinegar with a spray and wait to dry. The mattress will have a faint smell of vinegar for a few days, but the unpleasant odors will be gone.
- Smokers end up smelling cigarettes for bedding and mattresses. It is important to wash bedding frequently (at least once a week) and clean the mattress with a mixture of 1 tablespoon of liquid detergent and two cups of cold water. Wait for the solution to fully absorb and dry the mattress. Alcohol vinegar also helps.
Cleaning the box
Box-type beds, those with a fabric-covered wooden base that works as a mattress support, also need special attention in cleaning. In this case it is not enough to clean your mattress well if the base is still dirty.
Use the same materials, products, and home-made solutions used to clean the mattress at the base of the box bed and dry thoroughly before putting the mattress back into place. Capriche in the aspiration, because this part usually collects a lot of dust since it is very close to the ground.
- When cleaning with specific upholstery products or home-made solutions, avoid soaking the mattress or leaving it too damp. Remember that mites love moisture and their excess may also favor the appearance of fungi.
- Clean the stains as soon as you notice them or as soon as the accident occurs so that the liquid or dirt does not get impregnated.
- Try to use protective cover for the mattress and also for the pillows. Currently there are covers made with anti-allergic material, but do not neglect cleaning these materials, wash the covers every 15 days.
- Try to leave your mattress in the sun whenever possible.
- To ensure durability to your mattress, turn it periodically, as this will prevent deformation caused by body weight and also make it airy equally.
Lastly, it is important to note the label on your mattress and the manufacturer's tips for finding more precise guidelines on how to clean mattress properly. So you will keep your mattress always clean and appropriate for a great night's sleep.