Certainly one of the furniture that can not miss in a house is a good and comfortable sofa. It is where we meet the people who visit us and it is where we run at the end of a long day of work to relax and unwind. Learn more in this article How to Clean a Fabric Sofa :
As it is an item that is in a social room and intended for visitors, it must always be in good condition and it is essential that it is clean, offering all the comfort that we wish to our visitors.
There are sofas of various types of materials: leather, vinyl, fabrics ... and each of these materials has a specific way of maintenance and cleaning. If you have a fabric sofa and do not know very well how to clean it, then today's article is for you. Follow our tips:
Every sofa, regardless of the type of material it is made, has instructions and instructions from the manufacturer regarding maintenance and cleaning. Before taking any cleaning material, observe the label or manual in which these instructions are contained.
We generally ignore labels and manuals as we believe there is not much information available in these articles. However, the labels have symbols with wash instructions and follow the letter what it says is important to ensure the durability and beauty of the fabric of your mobile.
The wash symbol is the drawing of a tub full of water and it tells you what is the best way to wash the fabric. It can indicate that it is possible to machine wash, which is the ideal type of centrifugation, whether to choose the cycle of delicate clothes, whether washing should be manual, whether washing is prohibited or whether or not the fabric can be twisted.
The temperature symbol appears inside the wash symbol, that is, inside the tub and it is a number in degrees centigrade. It passes the instruction of what is the maximum temperature of water that that fabric supports without damage.
The drying symbol is a square and it indicates how that fabric should be placed to dry. There are tissues that can go to the clothes dryer, others that do not. If the symbol has a little dot in the middle, this indicates minimum drying temperature, two dots mean average temperature and three dots, maximum temperature. It will also indicate whether the fabric should go to the clothesline, whether it can be twisted or what orientation it should be in (horizontal or vertical). If you identify a round symbol, ie a circle, that means the fabric should be dry-cleaned.
This is the easiest to identify since his design is very similar to a small iron. It indicates whether the fabric can be ironed and what the maximum temperature should be used for best results.
The whitening symbol is a triangle. If it is cut with a xis, it means that you should not use bleach on this fabric. It also indicates whether you can use bleach with or without chlorine.
Materials Needed for Cleaning a Fabric Sofa
- Vacuum Cleaner;
- White vinegar and lukewarm water;
- Water and neutral detergent;
- Soft cloth;
- Bristle with soft bristles or sponge.
How to Clean Step-by-Step Fabric Sofa
- If your sofa has loose cushions and backrests, remove all of them from the main frame and with the vacuum cleaner clean all solid waste, large and small, that may have been in the corners;
- If the seats and backrests of your sofa are fixed, use the vacuum cleaner between the cracks to remove dirt and debris;
- Clean the wood or metal parts with a cloth moistened with mild soap and water. Dry well. You can use some specific product to polish wood or metal and let these details shine;
- If the cushions and backrests have a removable cover, cleaning is even easier. Just remove the covers and machine wash;
- Make a mixture of warm water and white vinegar and with a soft sponge or brush, apply this mixture on the fabric by rubbing in soft, circular motions. Start at the top of the furniture and go down following;
- With a dry cloth, remove excess moisture from the fabric;
- Expect to dry completely to get the parts back in place. To expedite the process, connect fans near the upholstery or leave windows and doors open;
- When the fabric is well sequido you can already put all the items back in place or release the sofa for use.
There are fabrics that can not be wetted or there is a risk of being stained and damaged such as polyester or microfibre. In this case the best option is to do a dry cleaning on your stew.
- Use a spray gun. Fill it with a mixture of cold water and alcohol;
- Spray the fabric in parts and use a sponge or soft brush to rub the moistened areas to remove the dirt;
- The brush or sponge should be used in gentle circular movements so that the fibers of the tissue remain in place;
- As the alcohol evaporates very quickly, your sofa will dry quickly and without strong smell at the end of cleaning;
- Just put all the pieces back in place or release the sofa for use.
How to Clean Fabric Sofa: Important Tips
- To get strong odors such as mold or pet smell, sprinkle baking soda on your fabric upholstery and let it act all night. The next morning remove the baking soda with the aid of a vacuum cleaner;
- Avoid eating or drinking on the couch, as leftover food and crumbs may fall on it and accumulate in cracks. It is the perfect place for the proliferation of bacteria;
- Clean your sofa at least once a month to keep it clean and smelling nice;
- Stains can be easily removed using a mixture of water and neutral detergent or baking soda and white vinegar;
- If you have children and pets, think about the possibility of waterproofing your sofa so that it will conserve for much longer;
- There are several products on the market specifically for cleaning upholstery. If you do not like using homemade solutions, look for these products and get to work;
- Many old stains can be removed with detergent foam: dilute the neutral detergent in the warm water and stir the mixture to a consistent foam. Apply foam (not liquid) onto the stain by gently rubbing with a brush or sponge;
- Never use chlorine, soaps, or bleach products when cleaning your fabric sofa.
Is your couch dirty? So there is no excuse now you already know everything you need to sanitize your upholstery and keep it always nice for your well-deserved rest and to welcome the loved ones in your home. See you later!