Having an air conditioner at home or in the work environment is ensuring an always pleasant climate, whether in summer or winter. But for the air conditioner to fulfill its role it is necessary to take care of the correct cleaning of the apparatus. So today's post is devoted to the theme so you learn the full step by step how to clean air conditioning.
Briefly, the air conditioner works as follows: external air is picked up by the appliance, goes through a cooling or heating process and returns to the environment. This cycle repeats itself several times so that the desired temperature remains constant.
All this process, over time, tends to accumulate dust, from the animals, mites and other substances that end up blocking the passage of air. And even when turned off, the air conditioner continues to accumulate dirt. For this reason, cleaning remains necessary even in months when the appliance is not in use.
The lack of cleaning and maintenance of air conditioning brings a number of negative consequences, especially for health. Dust accumulating in the device can cause allergies, trigger renitus and sinusitis, and even cause migraines.
A dirty air conditioner also does not work properly, consumes more energy and can still make noises. The life of the device also significantly reduces.
In companies and offices, it is recommended to clean the air conditioning filter monthly. In homes, cleaning can be done every two months. If the appliance is switched on for long periods, clean it once a month.
Before starting to clean the air conditioner you need to check the type of appliance you have. There are basically two models of air conditioning in the market: the window and the Split. Each one has a different cleaning method. Check out the detailed step-by-step below to learn how to clean each one:
How to Clean Window / Conventional Air Conditioner
- Disconnect the air conditioner from the outlet;
- Remove the front panel and wipe it with a soft dry cloth, if it is very dirty, use a cloth moistened with warm water. Do not use "multipurpose" products because they will yellow the appliance;
- Remove the filter from the air conditioner and remove the dirt using a vacuum cleaner. Wash it only if it is very dirty, using cold or lukewarm water, never hot;
- If you have washed the filter, let it dry well and naturally, only after it is completely dry, insert it again into the appliance;
- Ready! The window air conditioner is clean and can already be used. Be sure to insert the filter before turning it on.
How to Clean Split Air Conditioning
The way to clean the split air conditioner is basically the same as the window air conditioner. Check out:
- Take the appliance out of the socket;
- Remove the front panel and wipe it with a soft, dry cloth; if it is very dirty, use a cloth moistened with warm water;
- Some models feature activated carbon filter, located on the left side, or HEPA filter, on the right side; If your air conditioner has one of these filters remove them before the nylon filter;
- Check the mode of removal and installation of these filters, as they vary depending on the brand of the air conditioner;
- Clean the activated carbon filter or HEPA filter only with a vacuum cleaner or replace with a new one, as they can not be washed;
- The cleaning of these filters - both charcoal and HEPA - should be carried out once a month and the replacement every four or five months;
- Then remove the nylon filter from the appliance carefully and wash it with cold or warm water; use neutral soap and bush if you wish to complete the washing;
- Let the filter dry naturally and insert it again before switching on the appliance;
- Ready! The air conditioner is clean and ready for use
Cleaning the outside of the air conditioner
After learning how to clean the air conditioning filter it is also important to know how to clean the outside of the appliance properly, which includes the cover, front panel and remote control.
The process of cleaning the outside of the air conditioner is also easy and quick. Just use a damp cloth with neutral detergent and go through the parts mentioned above. Then use a dry cloth to finish the cleaning. Always remember to unplug the appliance every time you clean it.
Check out the step-by-step video on how to clean split and window air conditioners. So there is no doubt:
Step by step how to clean window air conditioner
In this video you can check the correct cleaning mode of the window air conditioner and some tips on how to care for and conserve the appliance. The video air conditioner is of the brand Springer, but the procedure can be applied on models from other manufacturers as well. If in doubt, refer to the operating instructions of the device.
Step by step how to clean split air conditioner
Already the cleaning of Split air conditioning models you can see in this video. The air conditioning of the tutorial is LG brand, but the tips can be applied to other brands as well. The tip is the same: if in doubt, refer to the instruction manual.
The cleaning process for both types of air conditioning is quite simple, as you may realize, but know that this does not exclude the need for preventive maintenance performed by a professional at least once a year.
There are companies accredited by the manufacturers that provide this type of service. The professional evaluates the need for cleaning in other parts of the apparatus, such as turbine, serpentine, drain pipe, among other parts. The maintenance takes about 60 minutes and the technician still applies a bactericide to ensure the cleaning for longer.
By following all these recommendations you ensure the durability and proper functionality of your air conditioner and most importantly, it preserves the health of those who are exposed to the appliance.