Those who dream of studying Architecture and Urbanism have excellent options of colleges in Brazil. Currently there are about 400 public and private institutions that offer the course throughout the country, from Oiapoque to Chuí.
Two of them are included in the list of the world's top 200 architecture colleges, according to a study by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), a global education analysis consultancy. In 2018, the company evaluated 2200 architecture colleges worldwide and ranked among the best, the University of São Paulo (USP) and the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. Tupiniquins colleges ranked 28th and 80th in the ranking, respectively.
The architecture course is one of the most sought after by Brazilian students. It is estimated that around 170 thousand students are enrolled in 2018, ranking 12th in the list of courses with the largest number of students, in front of courses such as medicine and engineering.
The main factors that explain why this great demand for the architecture course is the broad field of action, the good salaries and the possibility of working independently.
Currently, there are two indicators that measure the quality and performance of Brazilian universities. The first is done by the Ministry of Education (MEC) through examinations such as the Course Concept (CC) - responsible for measuring the quality of infrastructure and teacher training - the Preliminary Course Concept - has the same parameters as the CC, but the note is given before the visit of the MEC technicians - and finally, the old acquaintance of the university students, the Enade (National Student Performance Exam) - a test that assesses the students' level of knowledge. These three grades together classify institutions into five levels, from 1 to bad, 2 to inadequate, 3 good / satisfactory, 4 to great, and 5 to excellent.
The second way for students to obtain information about the quality of the course and the institution is by the University University Ranking (RUF), which has been held annually since 2012 by the Folha de São Paulo newspaper.
The ranking evaluates the courses based on two indicators: teaching and market. The grades obtained in these two questions determine the position of each university in the list.
Both MEC and RUF evaluations analyze data from architectural universities across the country, whether public or private.
Check out the list below for the best architectural colleges, with grades 3 and 5, according to information released by the MEC in 2017. Following this you are ranked among the top 100 architectural colleges listed by the RUF and a brief description of the ten best colleges of architecture in Brazil:
Best architecture colleges in Brazil according to MEC - Note 3 (Good / satisfactory)
- Anhanguera Educational Center (ANHANGUERA) - Sao Paulo-SP)
- University of São Paulo (UNICID) - São Paulo (SP)
- University of France (UNIFRAN) - Franca (SP)
- University of Northern Paraná (UNOPAR) - Londrina (PR)
- Pythagoras College (PITAGORAS) - Belo Horizonte (BH)
Best architecture colleges in Brazil according to MEC - Note 4 (Great)
- Unime Faculty (UNIME) - Lauro de Freitas (BA)
- Federal University of Ouro Preto (UFOP) - Ouro Preto (MG)
- Mackenzie Presbyterian University (MACKENZIE) - Sao Paulo-SP)
- Newton Paiva University Center (NEWTON PAIVA) - Belo Horizonte (MG)
- Ruy Barbosa College (FRBA) - Salvador BA)
- Federal Rural University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRRJ) - Seropédica (RJ)
- Faculdade Brasileira (MULTIVIX VITÓRIA) - Vitoria (ES)
Best architecture colleges in Brazil according to MEC - Note 5 (Excellent)
- Universidade Estácio de Sá (UNESA) - Ribeirão Preto (SP)
- Federal University of São João del Rei (UFSJ) - São João del Rei (MG)
- Centro Universitário Filadélfia (UNIFIL) - Londrina (PR)
- University Center Fiam (UNIFIAM-FAAM) - São Paulo (SP)
- University of Caxias do Sul (UCS) - Caxias do Sul (RS)
- University of Passo Fundo (UPF) - Passo Fundo (RS)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais (PUC MINAS) - Belo Horizonte and Poços de Caldas (MG)
- Tuiuti University of Paraná (UTP) - Curitiba (PR)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RIO) - Rio de Janeiro (RJ)
- University of Fortaleza (UNIFOR) - Fortaleza (CE)
- São Francisco University (USF) - Itatiba (SP)
- University Center of the East of Minas Gerais (UNILESTEMG) - Coronel Fabriciano (MG)
- Positivo University (UP) - Curitiba (PR)
- Mater Dei Faculty (FMD) - Pato Branco (PR)
- Centro Universitário Senac (SENACSP) - São Paulo (SP)
100 best colleges of architecture according to the ranking of the newspaper Folha de São Paulo
The best college of architecture and urbanism in Brazil according to the RUF ranking is the University of São Paulo (SP). The institution of São Paulo occupies the first position in both education and market. The second place is with the Minas Gerais UFMG. In the ranking, the university reaches the first place in education and second in the market question. The third place is with the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul. Gaucho reached the fourth place in the indicative teaching and third in the market.
An interesting case is from Mackenzie Presbyterian University. Although it occupies the first place in the indicative market, the São Paulo institution was ranked in seventh place by the score obtained in the teaching question.
In general, it is possible to note by the RUF ranking that the best architecture colleges in Brazil are concentrated in the southern and southeastern states and, for the most part, they are public.
In all, the ranking evaluated 400 institutions of public and private education that offer the course of architecture and urbanism in the country. The lanterninhas of the list are the One Faculty of Sete Lagoas, in Minas Gerais, and the Galileu Faculty, in São Paulo.
Check out the list with the hundred best Brazilian institutions to study architecture and urbanism, according to data from the University University Ranking:
- University of São Paulo (USP)
- Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG)
- Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS)
- Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ)
- University of Brasília (UNB)
- Federal University of Paraná (UFPR)
- Mackenzie Presbyterian University (MACKENZIE)
- Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC)
- Federal University of Bahia (UFBA)
- University of the Valley of the Sinos River (UNISINOS)
- State University of Campinas (UNICAMP)
- State University of Londrina (UEL)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul (PUCRS)
- Paulista State University Júlio de Mesquita Filho (UNESP)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas (PUC-CAMPINAS)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Paraná (PUCPR)
- Federal Fluminense University (UFF)
- Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN)
- University Center of Fine Arts of São Paulo (FEBASP)
- Federal University of Uberlândia (UFU)
- Faculty of Fine Arts of the Armando Alvares Penteado Foundation (FAAP)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RIO)
- University Center Ritter dos Reis (UNIRITTER)
- Federal University of Ceará (UFC)
- Federal University of Goiás (UFG)
- University of São Paulo (UNIP)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais (PUC MINAS)
- University of Fortaleza (UNIFOR)
- University of Nove de Julho (UNINOVE)
- University of Caxias do Sul (UCS)
- Federal University of Pernambuco (UFPE)
- State University of Maringá (UEM)
- Federal University of Mato Grosso (UFMT)
- Federal University of Paraíba (UFPB)
- Federal University of Espírito Santo (UFES)
- Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism (CITY SCHOOL)
- University of the Itajaí Valley (UNIVALI)
- Fumec University (FUMEC)
- University Anhembi Morumbi (UAM)
- University Center One (UNA)
- São Judas Tadeu University (USJT)
- Positive University (UP)
- Universidade Estácio de Sá (UNESA)
- University Center of João Pessoa (UNIPÊ)
- Federal University of Pará (UFPA)
- Federal University of Piauí (UFPI)
- University Center of Brasília (UNICEUB)
- University Center Euro-American (UNIEURO)
- University of Southern Santa Catarina (UNISUL)
- Salvador University (UNIFACS)
- Catholic University of Pernambuco (UNICAP)
- Methodist University Center Izabela Hendrix (CEUNIH)
- State University of Goiás (UEG)
- Federal University of Amazonas (UFAM)
- Federal University of Sergipe (UFS)
- University of Veiga de Almeida (UVA)
- Faculdade Brasileira (MULTIVIX VITÓRIA)
- Foundation Federal University of Tocantins (UFT)
- Federal University of Campina Grande (UFCG)
- Federal University of Alagoas (UFAL)
- University Center of Belo Horizonte (UNI-BH)
- University of Vila Velha (UVV)
- University Center Philadelphia (UNIFIL)
- Newton Paiva University Center (NEWTON PAIVA)
- Faculdades Integradas São Pedro (FAESA)
- University Center of Rio Grande do Norte (UNI-RN)
- Pontifical Catholic University of Goiás (PUC GOIÁS)
- University of the State of Bahia (UNEB)
- University of Vale do Paraíba (UNIVAP)
- Faculdade de Ciências Humanas Esuda (FCHE)
- Catholic University of Brasília (UCB)
- Triangulo University Center (UNITRI)
- University of Taubaté (UNITAU)
- University of Potiguar (UNP)
- Catholic University of Santos (UNISANTOS)
- Federal University of Pelotas (UFPEL)
- University of Santa Cecilia (UNISANTA)
- University of Ceuma (UNICEUMA)
- University Center Jorge Amado (UNIJORGE)
- Braz Cubas University (UBC)
- Faculdade Nordeste (FANOR)
- Lutheran University of Brazil (ULBRA)
- Foundation University of the State of Santa Catarina (UDESC)
- University of the Amazon (UNAMA)
- Regional University of Blumenau (FURB)
- Institute of Higher Education of Paraíba (IESP)
- Unit of Higher Education Don Bosco (UNDB)
- University of Mogi Das Cruzes (UMC)
- Centro Universitário Estácio do Ceará (Estácio FIC)
- Lutheran University Center of Palmas (CEULP)
- University Center Maurício de Nassau (UNINASSAU)
- Tiradentes University (UNIT)
- University Center Senac (SENACSP)
- University of the Region of Joinville (UNIVILLE)
- University of Western Santa Catarina (UNOESC)
- Faculdade Estácio de Belém (ESTÁCIO BELÉM)
- University Center Moura Lacerda (CUML)
- University of Cuiabá (UNIC / PITÁGORAS)
- University Center of the Institute of Higher Education of Brasília (IESB)
- University of São Paulo (UNG)
The ten best architectural colleges in Brazil: know each one better
1 st. University of São Paulo (USP)
One of the busiest colleges in Brazil, USP, is the institution that has the best architecture course in Brazil. The public university is recognized internationally for the quality of its course and has reached the rank of 28th best university of architecture in the world. The architecture course at USP lasts five full-time years. The great differential of faculty is multidisciplinary and comprehensive teaching, forming more than an architect, but a citizen to the world.
2º. Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG)
The second best architecture university in Brazil, according to the Folha ranking, is also public. The mineirinha offers a course of five years with daytime or night time, chosen by the student. The UFMG architecture course covers areas such as architectural planning, cultural heritage and structural and technological engineering.
3º. Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS)
The third place in the podium is gaucho and brings an extensive and varied curriculum. The UFRGS architecture course has 57 compulsory subjects and 70 electives, of which 17 have specific content and 53 subjects. The course lasts five years and has a full-time workload.
4th. Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ)
The architecture and urbanism course of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro scores as the fourth best institution in the country and 80th in the world. With a full time load and five years of duration, the architecture course of the Rio de Janeiro faculty is divided into four pillars: discussion, conception, representation and construction. All of them together form a professional with wide vision and qualified to meet the most varied demands of the area.
5th. University of Brasília (UNB)
Fifth is the University of Brasilia. The public institution offers the architecture course in two different periods: diurnal or nocturnal. The curricular curriculum of the course is composed of compulsory attendance disciplines and elective, optional and supplementary activities.
6th. Federal University of Paraná (UFPR)
The UFPR Architecture and Urbanism Course completed 52 years in 2014, forming approximately 2500 professionals throughout this period. The faculty of the institution has 29 teachers, of which five are masters and 22 are doctors. The total duration of the course is five years and the student can choose to enroll in the day or night period.
7th. Mackenzie Presbyterian University (MACKENZIE)
Mackenzie is one of the few private institutions that appears on the list of the ten best architectural colleges in Brazil. The course lasts five years and in 2018 has completed 100 years of history. Despite the strength of tradition, the faculty is mirrored in the future to bring technology and new market demands for the course. Mackenzie, with USP, is among the two best-viewed architecture institutions in the labor market. However, to study here it is necessary to pay R $ 3186 per month for the payment of the monthly fee.
8th. Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC)
The course of architecture and urbanism of the Federal University of Santa Catarina was founded in 1977 and is four years long. With full hours, students divide the disciplines between the Architecture Department and the Engineering Department of the Institution.
9th. Federal University of Bahia (UFBA)
The ninth place on the RUF list is the Federal University of Bahia. The course was formulated in 1959 under the concepts of the architect Lúcio Costa and the principles of the International Union of Architects. One of the strengths of the university is the creative freedom it offers students. The course is four years long and can be taken in the day or night period.
10º. University of the Valley of the Sinos River (UNISINOS)
The University of Rio dos Sinos Valley, in Rio Grande do Sul, is the second private institution to appear on the list of the ten best architectural colleges in Brazil. With campus in São Leopoldo and Porto Alegre, the institution focuses on training based on practice and experimentation. The course lasts five years and can be held in the morning or evening. The tuition for the architecture course at Unisinos currently reaches the R $ 2000 range.