You never imagined you could have a lake at home, could you? But today, this is more than possible! And you do not even have to have a very large space, you can make your own artificial lake in the corner that you have available there.
Artificial lakes, also known as ornamental lakes, are like small pools attached to the ground outside the house. In addition to creating a beautiful garden or backyard look, they are relaxing, inspiring, and, best, easy to do.
But before thinking about starting your artificial lake, you need to raise some important points:
- How large is the available external space?
- Is it possible to dig, even if little, the backyard or garden soil?
- Once assembled, can the lake disrupt circulation in the environment?
- Will the lake only be decorative or will it contain ornamental fish?
After raising these points you can already start the production of your artificial lake.
How to make an artificial lake?
Initially, make sure that the artificial lake you want to build can contain between one and thirty thousand liters of water. This ensures that pumping, cleaning and maintenance systems are applied.
- Demarcate the selected area and make sure that there are nearby outlets for the use of the pumps. Start digging the place and remember that everything must be removed, from rocks and roots, to small plants. The cleaner the area, the better.
- Drain until the inner walls of the artificial lake are about 45 degrees to the ground. This makes it easier to apply decorative items after assembly.
- Make the depth of the artificial lake between 20 and 40 cm.
- Apply the chosen material for the waterproofing of the lake. Today you will find prefabricated materials and canvas, or PVC canvas. The prefabricated style is sturdier, but does not offer many variations in size and depth. PVC canvas gives you more freedom to create and is more customizable.
- Use stones to attach the canvas along the lake's banks. Remember we talked about the required 45 degrees on the inner walls? Now is the time to cover this space with the stones, preferably rounded stones to avoid holes and tears in the canvas.
- Choose the location that will receive the pumps and filters. As in an aquarium, they are more than necessary for the conservation of your artificial lake.
- Apply coarse sand with gravel in about two inches at the bottom of the artificial lake. Then insert the plants that need to be in full contact with the water at the bottom of the lake. They can be inserted in the sand with gravel or in pots inserted in the bottom of the lake.
- After placing all the decoration items, start filling the pond with water with the help of a pressure-free hose.
- Only after filling the lake can you turn on the pump. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions. Wait at least 24 hours to fish the lake.
Got any questions? Then follow this video with a complete step by step of an artificial lake, without the need of digging and that can be mounted indoors and even in apartments. The final result is very interesting, check it out:
Necessary care with the artificial lake
- Avoid building the artificial lake next to trees. It can damage the roots, in addition to being contaminated by the leaves or small fruits that can fall in the water;
- If your idea is to put fish in this pond, remember that it needs to have at least one part that stays in the shade. In addition, an artificial fish pond must have a depth of at least one meter. This allows fish to enjoy a greater area of oxygen in the water. In this case, it is also indicated that the artificial lake has a space of, on average, 10 square meters.
- Maintenance of artificial lakes needs to be done at least once a month and does not take much time. You must check the operation of the pumps and measure the pH of the water to see if it needs to be changed or not.
60 artificial lakes to inspire you
Having an artificial lake at home is much simpler than you imagined, is not it? And now that you already know how to do and the care needed to keep you always beautiful, how about checking out some pictures of artificial lakes to inspire you?
Picture 1 - Option of artificial lake with cascade made in external environment.
Picture 2 - Artificial lake in rectangular format, resembling much to a river.
Picture 3 - Here, the relief of the environment was used for the construction of the artificial lake with waterfall.
Picture 4 - Besides the landscaping, the lighting makes all the difference in the decoration of the artificial lake.
Picture 5 - View of artificial lake of masonry with waterfall; modern design and well differentiated.
Picture 6 - Modern artificial lake, with oriental gardening.
Picture 7 - Artificial lake of masonry with path and tents; the diversity of plants in the project.
Picture 8 - A cozy inspiration of small artificial lake.
Picture 9 - Another artificial lake of masonry with simple vegetation to potentiate the elegant decoration.
Picture 10 - Regal victories are great options to decorate the artificial lake.
Image 11 - The choice of stones tells a lot about the final decoration style of your artificial lake.
Image 12 - Artificial lake with straight bridge in masonry.
Picture 13 - The tropical style garden leaves the lake even more realistic.
Picture 14 - The waterfalls leave the look of the artificial lake dazzling.
Image 15 - Small domes also help in the making of an artificial lake.
Picture 16 - The artificial lake for carp has become the center point of the garden of the residence.
Picture 17 - The natural pool aspect is much sought after by those who are making an artificial lake.
Picture 18 - Modern artificial lake decorated with beautiful and gigantic royal victories.
Picture 19 - This artificial lake impresses with the realistic cascade.
Image 20 - Smaller spaces can also benefit from the beauty of artificial lakes.
Image 21 - Plants can be placed in pots inside the artificial lake.
Image 22 - The carp give life and movement to the artificial lake.
Image 23 - When the pump can be coupled to a height higher than that of the artificial lake, the waterfall can be stronger and, thus, guarantee a greater naturalness to the project.
Picture 24 - The artificial lake with bridge gained a natural air amid the vegetation of the place.
Picture 25 - Lake and pool share the same visual design here.
Image 26 - A beautiful inspiration for the artificial lake one level below the house.
Image 27 - Here, the bonfire area is accessed by the small bridge that passes over the artificial lake.
Image 28 - The beautiful artificial lake has won the company of carp and plants that may be in constant contact with the water.
Picture 29 - The balcony of the house gives access to the small artificial lake of masonry.
Picture 30 - The plants help to create the personality and style of the lake.
Picture 31 - Beautiful cascade for the small artificial lake; small plan pots complete the proposal.
Picture 32 - The house in the rustic style combined perfectly with the chosen artificial lake.
Image 33 - Artificial lake with canvas and moss on the surface to ensure the natural look.
Image 34 - Long stones guarantee the water fall of the artificial lakes.
Picture 35 - Made in masonry, the artificial lake with carp enchants the exterior of the house and provides an incredible view.
Image 36 - Artificial lake almost totally covered by vegetation.
Image 37 - The artificial lake gained stone passers to form a passage on the water.
Image 38 - Artificial lake of cement and masonry.
Picture 39 - Inside the dome, the artificial lake does not require excavations.
Image 40 - The artificial lake has gained a wooden bridge that harmonizes with the rest of the facade.
Picture 41 - Here, the artificial lake is surrounded by a green bed, already the cement bridge allows to walk on the lake and to contemplate the space.
Picture 42 - Artificial lake made with tires on the edges.
Picture 43 - Artificial lake made with tires on the edges.
Picture 44 - Artificial lake made with tires on the edges
Image 45 - The artificial lake connected one point from the external area of the house to the other, thanks to the path built in masonry.
Image 46 - If you want to create carp on your artificial lake remember that the cares are a little different
Image 47 - The artificial lake indoors and built high up to the floor has gained glass walls where it is possible to observe the carp more closely.
Image 48 - The winter garden was highlighted with the artificial lake in stones.
Image 49 - Modern artificial lakes show more lines and less apparent stones.
Image 50 - There are many options for small artificial lakes. This one won several flowers in its aesthetic landscape.
Image 51 - Artificial lake with canvas; notice that the stones cover the entire surface and the tarp is invisible.
Image 52 - Artificial lakes can also be shaped with the desired design.
Picture 53 - Artificial lakes can also be shaped with the desired design.
Image 54 - Glass roof has won the company of the artificial lake in cupola for the entrance of the house.
Image 55 - The wooden bridge over the artificial lake is a spectacle to the part.
Picture 56 - Here the family lunches are even more pleasant with the artificial lake next door.
Image 57 - Overlapping rocks help hide the bombs and create the cascade effect for the artificial lakes.
Image 58 - The choice of canvas color can influence the color of the artificial lake.
Image 59 - Artificial little lake with simple composition, but that did not leave its beauty to be desired.
Picture 60 - Artificial lake in extensive area of the garden of the house, completely integrated to the landscape project.
Image 61 - The small artificial lake here worked as a fountain for the beautiful garden.
Image 62 - Large artificial lake with waterfall for those who have enough space available.
Image 63 - The small area for outdoor dining relied on the beauty of the artificial lake in stones.
Picture 64 - How about having a lovely view like this? Artificial lake at the foot of the window.
Picture 65 - Notice that the depth of this artificial lake is not great, but its area of extension is; the important thing is that everything is balanced to maintain the quality of the water.